When “Tare” is referring to weighing objects:
Tare weight is often accounted for in kitchen and analytical (scientific) weighing, which often include a button that resets the zero of the scale to a higher value, in order to measure only the content of a container without measuring the weight of the container itself.
I spent the last month road-tripping and couch surfing the east coast to “tare life.” I needed to let go of my last job, many preconceived notions, and my assumptions with technology to find out where both the market and I stand. Basically, re-set my 0.0.
I started in in DC then went to NYC, Richmond, Atlanta, then back up the through Greenville, Charlotte, Raleigh, DC to Pittsburgh. There were a few points that are applicable to any person venturing out on their own:
- In the world of consumer products there are very few clear “winners.”
- Most consumers make decisions based on emotion, not on technical specifications. Yes, features are important, but the best product doesn’t necessarily win.
- People don’t retain a lot about any single brand; therefore, one brand can’t be everything to everyone. A discrete position, vision and value proposition are necessary for both the company and the market.
- If you want to be mass market, get out of the in-group chatter and talk to real people. You’ll realize that the competition doesn’t own the market (see #1).
- Whatever you decide to do - think about working on the project for 10 or 20 years. If you think that you wouldn’t be interested in the long-term vision; you may want to consider another plan.